Project update 27 July 2022
Following extensive engagement with residents, businesses, young people, community groups and other stakeholders over the past few years, Enfield Council are now pleased to share the proposals for the Enfield Town project.
Enfield Town has a rich heritage and history and is an important town centre in our borough. The project has a focus on improving public realm spaces that provide places to stop and rest, and promotes a bustling and vibrant Town Centre. The project also proposes improved walking and cycling provision as well as public transport passenger facilities to reduce car use and promote sustainable transport options.
The proposed plan (here) and additional information can be viewed on the right hand side, in the Documents section on the right hand side of the project page.
This is an ambitious plan for our Town Centre and the Council have already secured more than £5m to enable change to happen. To deliver the completed project, including changes to pedestrian crossings and other transport elements, the project will need additional investment from Transport for London (TfL). More certainty on funding from TfL is expected in Autumn 2022. Once this is known the Council can look to make decisions on the overall scope of the project. This would involve a formal approval process which would include a statutory consultation likely to occur in 2023. The consultation will include a final opportunity where anyone can object or make representations to the proposed traffic orders associated with the project.
We would like to thank everyone who has been involved in the engagement process so far, and we welcome further community and stakeholder involvement in this project. We invite you to take part in a survey to gather your comments on the following:
- How does the proposed plan for Enfield Town respond to the Design Principles?
- What would you like to see as part of the sensory garden proposed in the Library Green?
- What are your suggestions for the name of the proposed new public square at the junction of Church Street and Little Park Gardens (near Nationwide Building Society)?
By suggesting a name for the proposed new public space (via the survey), you could win £300 to spend locally in Enfield. The winning name will be selected by the Cabinet Member for Public Spaces, Culture and Local Economy.
You can take the survey by 25th September 2022 via the project page at https://letstalk.enfield.gov.uk/EnfieldTown, by going to the Surveys & Forms tab of the project page. You can also visit Enfield Town library for a paper copy or request a paper copy by contacting as by email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 020 8132 1789, or writing to us at ATTN Healthy Streets, Enfield Council, Silver St, Enfield, EN1 3XA..
Come and speak with us
There are a series of pop-up stalls being held across the Town Centre as well as an online webinar. Please come along to speak with the project team, hear more about the project or share your design ideas for the Library Green sensory garden at the following:
- Pop-up stall at Fountain Island on Sunday 31 July 2022 from 12pm – 6pm
- Online webinar on Tuesday 2 August 2022 from 6 – 7.30pm to be held on Microsoft Teams via the link: https://tinyurl.com/EnfieldTownwebinar
- Sensory garden drop-in at the Library Green on Tuesday 9 August 2022 from 10am – 1pm
- Pop-up stall at the Market Square on Friday 9 September 2022 from 1pm – 4pm
- Sensory garden drop-in at the Library Green on Saturday 10 September 2022 from 10am – 1pm
There is also a permanent exhibition in the Enfield Town Library which can be viewed in person during the library opening hours until the engagement period ends on 25th September 2022.
Thank you for your involvement so far and we welcome your input as we continue this project for Enfield Town.